Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Getting Through the Winter

I live in the Midwest, which means cold and dry winters. This winter has been a little weird, and we've actually had some pretty mild weather. But it's still really dry. So it's time to talk about some not very glamorous stuff. How do you deal with the dry, itchy skin that comes with this time of year?

Here are some of the products I use to survive:

To deal with constant hand-washing, I go straight for the Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Hand Cream. This stuff is basically like petroleum jelly except not so greasy. As the container says, "just a dab heals dry skin." I keep this stuff in my desk at work, and I use it every time I wash my hands. It really works. But now someone needs to invent lotion that doesn't have to be reapplied after each hand washing.

Before I go to bed each night, I smother my feet, hands and any other particularly itchy body part with Eucerin Dry Skin Therapy Original Moisturizing Creme. I first discovered this when my pediatrician recommended it for my kids' itchy skin. It comes in a big tub and is super thick. You have to really work to rub it in, but it's worth it. My manicurist has even commented on how good my hands and cuticles look and wanted to know what I used.

I fluctuate between different moisturizing shower gels. Right now I'm using Dove Sensitive Skin. It's unscented, which I like because it doesn't compete with my perfume. And it seems to do the trick.
Also, I take a ton of baths in the winter to try and stay warm, which is terrible for dry skin. To somewhat counteract that, I use Neutrogena Body Oil, which I've rhapsodized about before. It's definitely a year round staple.

I told you this wasn't going to be a glamorous post. But these products will make you winter much more bearable, and you can pick them up on your next trip to Target.

So how about you? Any winter weather bath and body products that keep you from wanting to rip your skin off? Let me know.

0 comments:

Post a Comment